PFLAG believes in promoting change through education. Listed below are just some key educational resources that you can download for free from PFLAG National:
- Our Trans Loved Ones
- The Guide to Being a Trans Ally
- The Guide to Being a Straight Ally
- Be Yourself
- Se Tu Mismo
- Our Children
- Nuestras Hijas Y Nuestras Hijos
- Safe Schools
Important: Go to PFLAG National to see other resources you can download for free.
Other useful information:
- Download the American Psychological Association brochure on Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality.
- Download LGBTQ Basic Glossy for definitions of LGBTQ related items.
- Download Questions and Answers for Parents and Family Members of Gender Variant and Transgendered Youth – a publication of the Vancouver School Board.
- Download Early Childhood Development, Your Options: How Do I Know If My Child Is Transgender? by Stephanie Brill and Caitlin Ryan, Ph.D, ACSW.
- Download Supportive Families, Healthy Children for LDS Families – a publication of the Family Acceptance Project at San Francisco State University.
- Download Understanding Gender. This is a Gender Spectrum publication.
- LGBT Studies: The LGBT Studies Certificate Program at Napa Valley College was created in 2012 to prepare students interested in a degree in LGBT studies for transfer to a two or four-year institution. LGBT-120 Introduction to LGBT Studies New Time for Fall 2018 Tuesday/Thursdays 11 am-12:15 pm. Registration Begins May 1, 2018. Click on the following link to view brochure: LGBT120Courseflier
Recommended Books, Audio, Video:
- 10 Groundbreaking LGBTQ Children’s Books: A list of LGBTQ-themed children’s books.
- BEYOND ACCEPTANCE: Carolyn Griffin & Marian and Arthur Wirth (1986)
- BI ANY OTHER NAME: Bisexual People Speak Out, Ed. Loraine Hutchins & Lani Ka’ahumanu (1991)
- COMING OUT: An Act of Love, Rob Eichberg, Ph.D. (1990)
- COMING OUT TO PARENTS: Mary V. Borhek (1983)
- DIFFERENT DAUGHTERS: A Book by Mothers of Lesbians, Louise Raskin, Ed. (1987)
- IS IT A CHOICE?: Answers to 300 of the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Gays and Lesbians, Eric Marcus (1993)
- THE FAMILY HEART: A Memoir Of When Our Son Came Out, Robb Forman Dew (1995)
- NOT LIKE OTHER BOYS: Growing Up Gay: a Mother and a Son look back, Marlene Fanta Shyer and Christopher Shyer (1996)
- NOW THAT YOU KNOW: What Every Parent Should Know About Homosexuality, Betty Fairchild and Nancy Hayward (1989)
- THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CLOSET: The Coming-Out Crisis for Straight Spouses & Families, Amity Pierce Buxton (1994)
- REFLECTIONS OF A ROCK LOBSTER: A Story about Growing Up Gay, Aaron Fricke (1981)
- RESCUING THE BIBLE FROM FUNDAMENTALISM:A Bishop Rethinks the Meaning of Scripture, Bishop John Shelby Spong (1991)
- STRAIGHT PARENTS/GAY CHILDREN: Robert A. Bernstein (1995)
- TRANSGENDER WARRIORS: Making History From Joan of Arc to RuPaul, Leslie Feinberg (1996)
- AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY: 28.5 90 Minute Video. Call Denver PFLAG, 303-333-0286.
- ACCEPTING YOUR GAY OR LESBIAN CHILD: 90 Minute Audio Tape. Call Denver PFLAG, 303-333-0286 or go to their website.